Valentine’s is one of the sweetest holidays of the year. If you feel the urge to splurge this Valentine’s Day, below are a few simple precautions that won’t leave your teeth in bad condition:
- Drink less soda and more water.
- If you can’t brush after snacks, rinse with water to dilute acids in the mouth.
- Work in some healthy snacks around those Valentine’s Day treats. Snacks such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt cheese or fruit are great alternatives. Low sugar foods are a good preventative measure against tooth decay.
- Limit the amount of sweets you eat. Caramels and gummies are among the worst because of their high sugar content and retentive properties, which cause the bacteria in your mouth to produce acids that can cause tooth decay.
- Floss at least once a day to promote healthy gums.
- Brush thoroughly twice a day to reduce the damage sugar can cause.
If you wear a denture, its still a good idea to follow the above precautions. Dentures must be brushed daily to remove food deposits and plaque. It’s best to use a brush designed for cleaning dentures. A soft-bristled brush can also be used.
At Miami Smile Dental we believe that a healthy smile begins with knowledge. That is why one of our goals is to help elevate each patient’s dental awareness and to provide them with the best tools to maintain their dental health at its optimum. Dr. Papiernik truly enjoys seeing the effect that a healthy smile has on his patient’s lives.
Our team looks forward to meeting with you and developing a plan tailored to meet your individual needs. You can make an appointment by calling our friendly staff at (305) 670-5100 or by visiting http://www.miamismile.net
. Please call Miami Smile Dental if you have any questions about cosmetic dentistry, dental implants, teeth whitening, veneers, wisdom teeth, braces, or general dentistry. We would love to hear from you.
Miami Smile Dental
Dr. Serge Papiernik
7400 North Kendall Drive, Suite #203
Miami, FL 33156